Microgreens are one of the quickest food crops that we can grow and are tiny edible greens grown from the seeds of herbs and vegetables that are harvested before they can mature.
Unlike sprouts which you would harvest and consume once germination, these seeds burst open with the first root /shoot. Microgreens are grown in soil and require sunlight, they can be harvested when they're a few days to a week old.
Compared to their fully matured versions, they have a much higher concentration of nutrients despite been smaller. A few studies have been done comparing microgreens to their fully matured versions and they have managed to outperform their counterpart in vitamins and minerals.
What are the benefits of Microgreens?
- Microgreens are known to contain a high fiber content, microgreens are a particularly valuable food source as fiber binds to fat which helps to remove it from the body.
- It is believed by many that the naturally high level of antioxidants and vitamin C found in many microgreens and particularly in kale and broccoli helps boost your skin's collagen levels.
- Microgreens provide an excellent source of energy due to their high levels of Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B. In addition, Vitamin C provides a great energy boost by strengthening your immune system.
What are some of the examples of Microgreens?
There is a huge variety of microgreens available, ranging from different kinds of vegetables to even some types of herbs. Some of the most popular types of microgreens include:
- Garden cress
- Mustard greens
The best salad you will eat. Homegrown Microgreens salad.
- For the Salad:
- 1 cup of microgreens
- 1 blood orange, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup of shredded carrot or daikon radish
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- For the Dressing:
- 1 Tbsp. cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove chopped garlic (optional)
- A dash of salt and pepper
- If your microgreens have some soil on them, give them a light wash and air dry them in a colander for a few moments. (They are very fragile so need to be handled with care).
- Place them in a bowl and add the remaining salad ingredients.
- Stir up your vinaigrette in a little jar and pour on top of the salad.